About this Role:
This Principal Engineer role reports to the VP of Engineering and works with the Data Platform team. You will be a technical leader who builds engagement and monetizes the experiences from both an architectural and systems design perspective, for over 300 million monthly users across all sites and applications.
- Have a Broad Technical Impact
- You will oversee this technical area from an architectural and systems design perspective, leading other engineers, and working side-by-side with them to discover and implement solutions.
- You will be a top technical leader and communicate across a variety of audiences is imperative.
- Execute with the Future in Mind
- You will be one that must always think about the future, not overbuilding for it, and finding that right balance of developing solutions for current issues while not over-engineering for issues we are not sure we'll need to solve for
- Always have a plan for potential future issues and growth opportunities.
- Stay up to date with all applicable new technology innovations happening in the industry, and know when is the right time to bring new thoughts and potential infrastructure changes into discussions, with an understanding of the trade-offs and potential impact on overall tech-debt.
- Be Accountable
- Provide technical leadership for impactful projects that involve multiple teams and span multiple technologies and systems
- Lead large projects or large pieces of projects depending on the project scale
- Identify risks and opportunities to improve our processes and technologies
- Influence other senior leaders on engineering strategy
- Lead Key Initiatives
- Work with the Data Science team to build and scale Recommendations for TV, Movie, and Games both inline in the User's experience and as stand-alone pages
- Stream user pageview and action-event data into a system that develops a dynamic Profile of each user to be used to Personalize their experiences in many ways
- Scale out our Gamification systems to encourage users to develop high-quality content and be rewarded for their efforts
- Use all of the above to find new ways to monetize the users' experiences through Affiliate, E-Commerce, Display, and hopefully many more types of future revenue streams
- 10+ years of software engineering experience with a track-record of back-end development, design and architecture
- Expertise in a modern form of 1 or more of the following languages: Java, Python, Golang, Kotlin
- Designing and architecting scaled-up back-end systems (Kafka, MySQL, NoSQL, MongoDB, Neo4j), with expertise in both relational and nonrelational systems and when it is necessary to choose each one
- A high degree of proficiency in how to optimize full-stack web systems, in cached environments.
- Experience building large user personalization, recommendation and search-based systems with an average monthly base of at least 50-100M monthly users
- Deep experience as an expert and technical leader for large Engineering teams.
- Experience explaining complicated technical plans to a variety of audiences.
- A mindset that is business-oriented, collaborative, and comfortable with mentoring others
Bonus Points if You Have:
- A passion for building products for communities around the world.
- Contributed to open-source projects
Benefits & Perks:
- Health, Vision, Dental, and Life Insurance
- 401k Plan (+matching)
- Flexible time off - flexible and generous
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Family Assistance Programs
- Employee Assistance Programs and Support
- Wellness Programs
- Loan-Assistance, money-management, pet insurance, and other discounts
- Phone, Gym, and commuter programs
- An international work environment with a startup culture
More about the company:
A global entertainment media brand powered by passion. The fan-trusted source in entertainment, providing a home to explore, contribute to, and celebrate the world of pop culture. Whether looking for in-depth information on favorites or what's buzzing in entertainment, this platform has your pop culture curiosities covered through fan-expert knowledge and carefully curated and fun, original multi-platform content.
With a global audience of 300 million monthly unique users and encompasses over 400,000 fan communities. Featuring more than 55 million pages of content, inclusive of video.
- We serve a global community.
- Connection with our fans, creators, and partners is at our core, and it’s grounded by our active efforts of inclusion.
- We build experiences.
- We imagine, improve, and deliver solutions.
- We bring joy.
- We celebrate our teammates, and the work we do.